Can you fall in love with an organisation? I think I’m smitten by the CDAC network. I can’t quite remember how I stumbled across them but I became aware of their work just days before they put on the Media and Tech Fair at Google’s London HQ last week.
For those who couldn’t make it to the event the proceedings were streamed live online. Honestly it was amazing to be able to tune in to such relevant, insightful and thought-provoking discussions.
Pretty much all of the panellist were conversing on exactly the issues that I’ve been musing over in the course of my studies –
1) ways to make aid genuinely more accountable to the people it is supposed to serve
2) why humanitarianism needs to take on some of the values more commonly associated with development
3) how to make use of the diaspora in emergencies
4) where to strike the most efficient balance in the use of technology in responding to crises
5) how to ensure that online data is enabling yet challenge people’s right to privacy or worse still fall into the wrong hands…
I only managed to catch a couple of hours on the first day but I’m waiting in eager anticipation for them to upload the rest of the material from the sessions that took place over two days. For anyone interested in positive, innovative approaches to humanitarianism this is must-watch information and a must-follow organisation.